Robotic Hand

Shane and Max

Videos and Pictures at bottom.

What will your project be?

We are going to build a robotic hand that will move based on the actions of a glove that we put sensors on it. We will design a glove that will have flex sensors that will (hopefully) trigger the fingers of the robotic hand. Thus, whenever we move a finger, the robotic hand will also move that finger.

How could this project fit into a larger class-wide goal of creating a music video?

The robotic hand can be placed over a keyboard and can play the songs.

What parts will you use?

  1. Metal-Gear Servos (5)
    1. This is a crucial part of our project, since the servos are going to move our arm. Three of the servos are going to move the three fingers, while another servo will move the hand left and right on a single plane. The last servo is a replacement, and can be used for a fourth finger if a replacement is not needed.
    2. $7.00 each ($8.95 regularly but they are on sale.
  2. Flex Sensors (5)
    1. This is a crucial part of our project, since the flex sensors are the sensors that will tell the hand to move. Three of the sensors will go on the glove above our fingers, and another one will be positioned on the side of the hand. The last sensor is a replacement and can be used on the fourth finger if it is not needed as a replacement.
    2. $7.95 each
  3. Arduino related stuff
    1. This is the stuff that we already have (bread board, Arduino, wires, etc.)


Which aspects of your project do you already know how to do?

Building the hand and coding should not be that hard. The hand will probably be built out of a light since a servo will be controlling the joints. The coding also shouldn't be too hard since the flex sensors are just resistors and we've already dealt with the coding of resistors this semester. There will, of course, be unseen circumstances that we cannot prevent, but we will deal with those accordingly.

Which aspects of your project will you need help figuring out how to do?

Mounting the servos on the robotic glove and making sure that the servos move the joints will probably be the hardest part of our project. Although we have no idea how hard this will be until we get the parts, this seems like this facet would have the most amount of trouble.

How will you divide up the work on the project?

When one person is working, the other is also working on the project. Not too worried about sharing the work since it comes pretty naturally. We're bros.

FINAL PROJECT

Videos (WATCH THEM IN ORDER)




The hand that was built out of aluminum foil with duct tape around it.


A stand was built for the hand in order to put the hand at a 45 degree angle so we can move the fingers.


A wooden stand was made in order to prop up the servos over the fingers. The stand was buttressed by four wooden dowel rods and had a cardboard top. The entire hand was put on a cardboard piece also for a base. Everything was connected using hot glue and some things are reinforced with duct tape.


Another picture of the wooden stand but at a different vantage point.


Ok, well the wooden stand didn't work because it did not have the architectural integrity that the servos needed. The videos explain why we moved to metal.


Another picture of the metal stand.


FINALLY. All of the joints were connected with servos and the movable thing that the servo moved.

Wiring for breadboard for the above picture of the joints.


Wiring for the arduino that corresponded with the wiring for the breadboard.


This shows how we put the flex sensor on the glove.


The final project is shown here. All of the wires are connected, along with a new arduino being added in order to make the piano work.


The final wiring of all of the arduinos: one for the hand and the other for the piano.


Although we got the original idea done, we did not accomplish all that we wanted to. There were two major discrepancies from our videos to the actual project. One was that the flex sensors were not sewn onto the glove, but rather glued. The other was that the piano didn't have the side to side movement that we wanted so the hand could press 5 keys instead of 3. Even though these ideas did not come into fruition, the project still went fairly well.

Any questions can be asked on Thursday!

Last modified: 2011/12/14 14:42