- LinkedIn Profile
- Google Scholar Profile
- Community Grids Lab
- SALSA Group
- Indiana University
- Apache Axis2
- Universiy of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka, "Pearl of the Indiana Ocean", is my beautiful home country. Sri Lanka is an island nation with a proud history, and enjoys nice weather throughout the year.
Thilina.Gunarathnemay the source be with you !!!
Pervasive Technology Institute
2719, East 10th Street
- Ph.D. Candidate, M.Sc. (2009) CS Program, School of Informatics and Computing , Indiana University Bloomington
- Research Assistant/ Fellow (2007 - to date), Community Grids Lab, Pervasive Technology Institute Advisor Prof. Geoffrey Fox
- Research Intern (2010), IBM Almaden Research Lab, San Jose, CA
- Research Intern (2008), Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA
- Member (PMC), Apache Web Services Project, Apache Axis2 Project
- Apache Committer,Apache Axis2, Apache Kandula2,Apache WS Commons
- B.Sc. Engineering 2006 Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka
My current research interests include distributed & parallel computing, cloud computing, many/multi core systems including GPGPU's and SOA . My current research focus in on performing scalable parallel computing on Cloud Computing environments.Google Scholar Profile Citations:548, h-index:11, i10-index:12 (as of 4/2013)
- Scalable Parallel Computing on Clouds Using Twister4Azure Iterative MapReduce Thilina Gunarathne, Bingjing Zhang, Tak-Lon Wu
and Judy Qiu.
Future Generation Computer Systems(FGCS), 2013 Volume 29, Issue 4, pp. 1035-1048. (6/2012)
- Cloud Computing Paradigms for Biomedical Applications
Thilina Gunarathne, Tak-Lon Wu, Jong Choi, Seung-Hee Bae and Judy Qiu.
Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, , vol.23, no.17, pp.2338-2354. (06/2011)
- Cloud Technologies for Bioinformatics Applications
Jaliya Ekanayake, Thilina Gunarathne and Judy Qiu.
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems , vol.22, no.6, pp.998-1011. (6/2011)
- Iterative Statistical Kernels on Contemporary GPUs.Thilina Gunarathne, Bimalee Salpitikorala, Arun Chauhan and Geoffrey Fox. Int. J. of Computational Science and Engineering (IJCSE), 2013 Vol.8, No.1, pp.58 - 77. (6/2012)
- Portable Parallel Programming on Cloud and HPC: Scientific Applications of Twister4Azure
Thilina Gunarathne, BingJing Zang, Tak-Lon Wu and Judy Qiu.
4th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC 2011), Melbourne, Australia. (12/2011)
- MapReduce in the Clouds for Science
Thilina Gunarathne, Tak-Lon Wu, Judy Qiu, and Geoffrey Fox.
2nd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom2010), Indianapolis, IN. (12/2010)
- Architectures for Iterative Data Intensive Analysis Computations on Clouds and
Thilina Gunarathne (advisor Geoffrey Fox).
Doctoral Show case, SC11, Seattle. Abstract \& Presentation). (11/2011)
- Twister: A Runtime for Iterative MapReduce
Jaliya Ekanayake, Hui Li, Bingjing Zhang, Thilina Gunarathne, Sueng-Hee Bae, Judy Qiu, and Geoffrey C. Fox. The first international workshop on MapReduce and it's Applications (MAPREDUCE'10), HPDC 2010, Chicago, 06/2010.
- DryadLINQ for Scientific Analyses
Jaliya Ekanayake, Atilla Soner Balkir, Thilina Gunarathne, Geoffrey Fox, Christophe Poulain, Nelson Araujo and Roger Barga.
IEEE e-Science 2009, Oxford, UK. (12/2009)
- Experience with Adapting a WS-BPEL Runtime for eScience Workflows
Thilina Gunarathne, Chathura Herath, Eran Chinthaka and Suresh Marru.
Grid Computing Environments 2009 workshop, SC09, Portland, Oregon.(11/2009)
- BPEL-Mora: Lightweight Embeddable Extensible BPEL Engine (pdf)
Thilina Gunarathne, Dinesh Premalal, T Wijethilake, Indika Kumara and Anushka Kumar. Workshop in Emerging web services technology (WEWST 2006), ECOWS, Zurich, Switzerland. (published as book chapter in Emerging Web Services Technology, C. Pautasso and C. Bussler, Eds., pub: Birkhäuser Basel, 2007, pp. 3-20.)
- Application of
Management Frameworks to Manage Workflow-Based Systems: A Case Study on a Large Scale E-science Project
Srinath Perera, Suresh Marru, Thilina Gunarathne, Dennis Gannon, Beth Plale.
IEEE International Conference on Web Services, Los Angeles, CA. (07/2009)
a Concurrent Service Orchestration Engine in CCR.
Wei Lu, Thilina Gunarathne and Dennis Gannon. (2008)
Workshop on Multicore Software Engineering (IWMSE) in conjuction with ICSE, Leipzig, Germany, 2008
- more ...
- Twister4Azure and MRRoles4Azure
MapReduce and iterative MapReduce frameworks for Azure Cloud.
- SALSA (Service Aggregated Linked Sequential Activities) Project
Parallel Data Mining of GIS, Web, Medical, Physics, Chemical, and Biology data.
Environments for Atmospheric Discovery (LEAD)
An integrated, scalable framework for processing meteorological data. I upgraded the workflow orchestration engine to an standard BPEL compliant engine.
- WSO2 Mashup
Platform for creating, deploying, and consuming Web services Mashups. I was the Lead Developer till Aug 07.
- Apache Axis2
Web service Engine. I was a committer and I contributed by implementing attachments support, message formatters/builders support and various other features. I also acted as the release manager for the critical 1.1 release.
A light weight embeddable BPEL implementation. This is my Undergrad (BSc) final year project. I architected most of the engine and developed the Run Time Engine, Web Services Layer & BPEL Object model (together with Indika).
WS-Coordination, WS-Atomic Trasaction & WS - Business Activity Implementation on top of Axis2. I was the lead developer.
- Apache Web
Services Commons/ Axiom / XMLSchema
Axiom - StaX based java xml object model. I implemented the bianry data support and many other features.
Collobarative weather information and alarming system with smart phone & web front ends.Implemented using .net. We were the Sri Lankan runners-up in the Microsoft Imagine Cup competition.
- 50k$ funding/fellowship for my dissertation research from Persistent Systems (2012)
- University of Moratuwa Colors for Rowing
- Best undergraduate final year research project student, CSE, UOM(2006)
- Runners-up award at the BCS National Best Quality Software Awards, Sri Lanka for BPEL-Mora
- Runners-up of the Microsoft Imagine Cup, Software Design Category, Sri Lanka.
- Google Summer of Code awards for open source involvement in Apache Axis2 & Kandula2
- Best new comer & Runner up in the Sri Lanka National Informatics Olympiad - SLNIO(2000)
- 1st Runner Up(98) , 2nd Runner Up (2000), Australian National Chemistry Quiz