- Talented Professionals
- You want the "best fit" but that involves many factors.
- The key is to identify the most talented people
and put them in jobs that interest them.
Their development is then best ensured by keeping their
work continually challenging.
- Talent can be different for different roles and responsibilities.
- Watch for the ability to grow.
Identify and nurture latent (rather than realized) talent.
- Developing Technical Talent
- Allow, encourage, and demand growth.
- The key is the presence of both breadth and depth.
- Manage people in a stimulating way.
Expose them to multiple challenges and
provide them with a control over their own work.
- Fear is often the disincentive for growth.
- But be aware that you can't make apples into oranges.
- Developing Managerial Talent
- Management talent is, to some extent, inherent
but management skills are taught.
- More responsibilities will bring more growth.
- Organize teams for mentorship (applies above too).
- Managing Teams
- Interpersonal relationships are the key.
- Interact with team members. Act more like a
collaborator than a traditional manager.
- Balance team membership and distance - a difficult act.
- subtile vs blatant
- forward vs. reserved
Last modified: Thu Mar 4 11:46:44 EST 1999