>From steven@cwi.nl Wed Oct 28 01:10 EST 1992
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1992 14:12:46 GMT
From: Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl
To: richb@Aus (Rich Burridge)
Subject: Re: xfaces

Thanks for the info about the new xfaces. Sorry to hear about the
RealWork(TM).

Here's another idea: xfaces as file browser:

xfaces -e ~/images/faces/xfile -f ~/images/faces

xfile:

echo Cols=10 Rows=10
file * | sed "s/ /./g
s/://
s/symbolic.link.*/symbolic.link/" | awk -f /ufs/steven/images/faces/awk.f

awk.f:

BEGIN {OFS=" "} # That's a tab in there
{print $1, $2, $1, "", $2, ""}

For example:
! commands.text ! commands.text
Fonts English.text Fonts English.text
ID data ID data
INTERF English.text INTERF English.text
MkFunc commands.text MkFunc commands.text
new ascii.text new ascii.text
views executable views executable
views.c c.program.text views.c c.program.text
views.h ascii.text views.h ascii.text
views.o object.file views.o object.file

And now another suggestion:

The rest of the line after the 6th field of the records
generated by the shell script are a shell command that is
executed should the user double click on that icon.

Then we can make programs that browse the file-store, or mail-readers
or news-readers, or whatever.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl
"Let us go then you and I/while the night is laid out against the sky/like a
smear of mustard on an old pork pie"
Nice poem Tom. I have ideas for changes though, why not come over? - Ezra