Dean, Rudy Professor of Engineering, Computer Science and Informatics
Luddy Hall 3156
- Ph.D. in Electrical & Computer Engineering/Bioengineering at University of Minnesota/Mayo Medical School, 1984
Raj Acharya is Dean of the School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering. In this position he leads a multi-campus school of nearly 175 faculty members and 4,000 students at the Bloomington and Indianapolis campuses respectively. He is James H. Rudy Professor of Engineering, Computer Science, and Informatics at IU Bloomington.
Prior to his tenure at IU, he was Founding Director, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (containing the Departments of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science & Engineering respectively) and Head at Penn State for 14 years. He also held an appointment at Penn State’s Applied Research Laboratory for conducting classified research. He was previously a Research Scientist at General Electric (Thomson) CSF Laboratory, Paris, France, and has been a Research Fellow at various NASA and DoD labs. He is on the board of Videomining and Technology Collaborative (a technology-based economic development organization).
Additional current involvement includes:
- Member of the TechPoint Board, which helps to promote and accelerate the growth of Indiana’s tech community
- Chair of Computing Research Association (CRA) Deans council.
- Associate Editor of IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
- Founding Chair of IAPR Technical Committee on Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics
- On the steering committee of the International Conference on Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics
- Fellow of IEEE and AIMBE
His work has been profiled in publications such as Businessweek, Mathematics Calendar, Drug Discovery, Diagnostic Imaging, Environnews, EurekAlert, Science Daily, and The Scientist, among others. He is working as part of a multidisciplinary international team on a NSF-United Nations Digital Government Surveillance project involving Hot Spot Bio-Geo Informatics.
Five Representative Publications:
Prabhakara, R. Malhotra, R. Acharya, M. Poss, Mutant Bin: Unsupervised Haplotype Estimation of Viral Population without Reference Genome, J of Computational Biology, 20(6): 453-463 (2013).
R. Rauscher, R. Acharya, Virtual Machine placement in predictable computing clouds, IEEE CLOUD 2014: 975-976.
R. Rauscher, R. Acharya, Performance of private clouds in health care organizations, CloudCom (1) 2013: 693-698.
S. Prabhakara, R. Acharya, A two way multidimensional mixture model for clustering Clustering metagenomic sequences, BCB 2011: 191-200.